I've just stuffed myself with bacon, eggs and cheese bread. Vermont cheddar cheese bread to be precise. Needless to say pretty much every Irish lad could open a restaurant if all that was on the menu was a fry up. It'd be quite the menu:
Appetizers: Fry Up
Main Course: Fry Up
Dessert: Fry Up
Excuse me waiter, do you have anything else other than a fry up?
No, sir.
That's the only option?
Yes, sir.
But you have more alcoholic options than food options.
Sir, you do know this is a Irish restaurant yea?
Anyway, my point is - a fry up is a great way to start the week. Or end the weekend for that matter, as you see today is Labor (without the U) Day here in America. I suppose I should figure out why today is a holiday but I think it's funnier to just imagine a day off for labor day. I mean, think about it, lets do nothing and call it a work day.
He even looks like Cesc, especially the bottom half of the face, he's just older and sexier. When the news came out on deadline day that the deal was off I was gutted. Back on again and I was jumping around the place? Why? Can this guy really replace Cesc? Not alone, no. But I think he has a lot of the same qualities that Cesc had. He's very creative and a big step up in our resources at set pieces.
Since Arteta joined Everton in 2004, here's how his contribution has been to the team. I've averaged the goals per game for Everton and goals (scored or assisted) per game for Arteta and calculated Arteta's number as a percentage of Evertons. For example, if Everton score 38 goals in a season, that would be 1 goal per game. And if Arteta played 20 games and scored or assisted 20 times then Artetas contribution would be 100% for all the games he played in. Confused yet? Good.
04/05 - 19%
05/06 - 30%
06/07 - 39%
07/08 - 21%
08/09 - 31% (suffered knee injury in Feb 09)
09/10 - 32% (Arteta returned for 16 games)
10/11 - 16%
Why Arteta was only half as effective last season as he was in previous seasons I cannot tell you. You'll have to ask an Everton fan whether it was a lack of form, playing out of position or simply didn't play as much (ie used more a sub - I based the statistics strictly on appearances, not starts). I don't put it down to him being past it or as a result of his knee injury. However, if he can make the step up at Arsenal and come out with figures around the 30% mark, then replace Cesc I think he can help with. As a comparison Cesc figures for the last 4 seasons comes out at 39%. RvPs average over the last 4 seasons is 40.5%. If Arteta could reproduce the form of 06/07 then he is in the same class as Cesc and RvP. Either way I think he can contribute a huge amount to our season. A good player should only look better when playing with better players. Take a look at Ashley Young if you think otherwise.
Reports came out today that the reserves were impressed by Arteta in training. Not saying much really though is it. I mean, I could look good in one Arsenal training session, sticking to my 'tricks'. As long as someone didn't ask me to pass them the ball I'd be fine. Especially not with my left foot. I literally don't have a left foot. If I had to use it I'd be out the door sharpish. Unless of course the manager was Jamie Redknapp. Then I'd be made captain.
Till next time. Don't dream about Mikel too much. Oh go on then.
No comments:
Post a Comment