Let's be honest, the performance was a bit lackluster. We did create chances however, with Aaron and Theo, both of whom should have done better in the early stages of the first half. In the second, RvP hit the outside of the post and Chamakh went close with a header.
Positives
Both Arteta and Mertesacker had good debuts with a cameo from Yossi also welcome. The two starters were composed and while neither had a perfect debut, the experience and passing completion rates for both were welcome to see.
Chesney once more pulled off an unbelieveable save in the first half to deny Swansea going ahead. It really was an amazing point blank stop with his left hand. He did have a bit of a flap at the end where Swansea really should have leveled but for that particular set piece I'd look to the entire team as he was challenging multiple Swansea players.
Arshavin and Chamakh (albeit for only 14 minutes for the latter) played better than I have seen them play in quite some time. Arshavin was lively and set up Theo's chance nicely while the goal I feel was one very few players in the PL would score. It was an awful angle and curling away from goal. I was genuinely a little shocked when it rattled the net. Chamakh was lively and got on the end of a good cross from Gibbs. Some say he should have done better but I thought it was a very good save from Vorm who, blunder aside, did well. Let's hope they are coming back to form.
Some fans will never be happy but I thought 3 points and a clean sheet when our starting 11 with everyone fit and available (wishful thinking you say? Possibly) we could start with TV5, Wilshere, Gervinho and Santos. For me TV5 and Wilshere, along with RvP are our best players. Gervinho also brings some directness to the table and while too early to tell if he is on the same level, he has the potential to be. And lets not commend the swans for a fine fearless performance. It's not hard to see why they kept Wigan and Sunderland scoreless.
Negatives
I'm not going to dwell too much on the bad today as we got the most important thing and that was the 3 points but here's a few quick points:
- I felt bad for Chamakh not being able to find anyone to give the armband to. I don't think it's a disgrace that he wore it himself but for me Sagna was the right one for it. That said when you have a team with 3 debutants, 5 others in the very early 20s it does limit the options. This I believe is the state of transition that we are currently in
- While Gibbs may have been poor, he has the excuse of lack of match fitness. Theo has no such excuse and may not be a regular starter once Gervinho comes back. He needs to up his game.
- RvP has had glimpses but was found far too deep at times yesterday with no one filling in for him up front. Time will tell if a formation built around Cesc will work without him.
With an important CL game on Tuesday coming up it was vital we got some confidence back. With Song and Gervinho back in the squad it may be enough to pick up another 3 points against Dortmund. Until then though it's job done.
Onward and upward. One game at a time.
No comments:
Post a Comment